Thursday, March 18, 2010

March Garden Stroll

Twitterpated birds are swooping in from everywhere and the flowers are beginning to bloom. Yes, I think Spring has hit the Pacific Northwest. My condolences (really!) to those of you still buried under snow and mud. This post isn't about bragging, but about hope.

The Cornus argentea looks like a chandelier with all of it's new foliage popping up.



Thalictrum 'Illuminator' is a great companion of Pulmonaria 'Leopard'.



Malus 'Pink Spires' is one of the first crabapples to bloom.



Flowering Current (Ribes sanguineum) brings in the Hummingbirds.



Primula vulgaris are some of my favorite primroses. This is a very old one called 'Quaker Bonnets'.



Another great primrose is Primula sieboldii. Although it looks fragile, this is a work horse. Spreads nicely.



The lilacs are budded and waiting.



Although not in their prime, the Hellebores are still quite showy.



Geranium 'Hocus Pocus' creates a dark contrast to it's golden neighbor.



One of my favorites, the checker lily (Fritillaria mealagris), makes a daring display with Pulmonaria 'Trevi Fountain'.



The Ferns still look like something from "The Little Shop of Horrors".



Anemone nemerosa 'Bracteata' are just beginning to open their ruffled blooms.


The Post of the Week is Five Mile Furrow.

13 comments:

Roses and Lilacs said...

Your blooms are lovely. The lilac buds are so dark, I'll bet they are beautiful when they are in full bloom. Love your primrose.
Marnie

Anonymous said...

Dear Cindee, Such a beautiful sequence of photographs which not only suggest hope but joy as well. Let us hope for everyone that, as March enters its second half, spring really is well under way. That said, it snowed here in Budapest at the start of the week.

Cheryl said...

So many spring blooms....gives hope for the many, waiting for the warmer weather to arrive.
I love pulmonaria....they are one of my favourite bee plants.....

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

Oh Cindee I love them - such cheerful blooms greeted me on my travels through your post yet again. I bought 2 new pulmonaria's today!

JC said...

There are signs of life all over my yard.

Barry said...

Cindee:
How grateful I am that I can come here and see so many of my favourite things..... Cornus 'Argentea' - who but you would offer me such a beautiful photo - stunning - how is it not everyone's favourite within the genus!

I am most interested in Thalictrum 'Illuminator' - please tell me more! The foliage alone is reason to have it within my repertoire this year! I could list off every plant that you have listed but then I hope by now that you know you have a loyal if not curious follower! I do have a few Galanthus and one lonely Primula blooming. And NO snow, but that is supposed to change come the weekend!

Randy Emmitt said...

Cindee,
Wow primroses, so much to learn about them. You have some nice ones!

*Ulrike* said...

Wow! You have a lot of things getting ready to bloom! We have had a crazy winter here in the south. They are having the cherry blossom festival with no blossoms! Everything is late here, but I guess better late than never!

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Hi Cindee, Spring is looking wonderful in your garden! I especially think the Quaker Bonnets is a charmer. Enjoy! :)

Tankar från Trädgårdsmästarn; Hillevi said...

So many spring signs you already have. Nice!

Yesterday evening, the snow on our roof came down. Finally! Best spring sign so far, hopefully I will find some snowdrops next week or so... That would truly lighten up my day:-)

Have a nice weekend!

Unknown said...

These gardens must be breathtaking in person, Cindee. So uplifting to see your photos;-)

debsgarden said...

I love that checkered lily! You have many beautiful flowers blooming there, and I am delighted you have shared them with us. Spring has really arrived here in Alabama, though the weather is predicted to turn cold again and there is the possibility of snow. Snow? No way! Happy Spring!

Megan said...

Beautiful shot of the cornus argentea. I love the emergence of new leaves, they're the best part of spring. It really is looking spring like around Portland too, every day something new has poked its head from the soil.